Quantcast

all chickenwing

Published on February 23rd, 2012 | by Greg

0

Manhattan Wings: From BBQ To PB&J

New York is proud to call it­self the home of many culi­nary in­no­va­tions. Whether it’s our orig­i­nal style of piz­za, or our fa­mous delis and sand­wich­es, the NYC re­gion does some pret­ty great things with food. At Tru­lyNet, it’s not to­tal­ly about the high­brow- though we do our fair share of wine and whiskey tast­ing, and take our cof­fee se­ri­ous­ly enough to ar­gue about Chemex ver­sus vac­u­um ver­sus French press. We love fan­cy teas, and Fan­cy Foods, but we al­so are in­cred­i­bly fond of street food and bar food.

Hence our in­ter­est in the re­cent­ly-held event, King of the Wing. Over the week­end, we found our­selves snack­ing on dozens of dif­fer­ent types of chick­en wings (and drum­sticks). And while there was plen­ty of blue cheese dress­ing on hand, along with the tra­di­tion­al ac­com­pa­ni­ments of car­rots and cel­ery sticks, we had our fill from twen­ty or so of Man­hat­tan’s best wing providers.

Ev­ery­one at­tend­ing got to vote for their fa­vorites, in three cat­e­gories, and the re­sults are in! We agree 100% with the win­ners- if you ev­er find your­self in need of a wing (or a buck­et), def­i­nite­ly check out some of the folks list­ed be­low.

TASTY CRE­ATION – Best Spe­cial­ty Chick­en Wing

1. GOLD Vil­lage Pour­house’s “Peanut But­ter & Jel­ly Wing” (which was out­stand­ing along­side the ba­nana fluff dip that al­so earned them a sep­a­rate gold be­low)
  2. SIL­VER Duke’s “Gen­er­al Tso’s Chick­en” (fresh cilantro, great spice, and a nice sweet/salty bal­ance)
  3. BRONZE Wo­gie’s “Salt & Pep­per”

BEST BUF­FA­LO – Best Tra­di­tion­al Buf­fa­lo Wing

1. GOLD Duke’s (hot, fresh, and easy to eat by the hand­ful)
  2. SIL­VER That Burg­er (per­haps the strongest kick)
  3. BRONZE Bar Coastal

THE BIG DIP­PER – Best Dip­ping Sauce

1. GOLD Vil­lage Pour­house “Ba­con Fluff”
  2. SIL­VER Wo­gie’sa
  3. BRONZE Duke’s

Tags: , , ,

About the Author

Greg dreamed up the idea for the Truly Network while living in Hawaii, which began with a single site called TrulyObscure. In 2010, when advertisers and readers were requesting coverage beyond the scope of that site, TrulyNet was launched, reaching a broader audience over a variety of niche sites. Formerly the head technology correspondent for the Des Moines Register at age 16, he has since lived and worked in five states and two countries, helping a list of organizations and companies that includes the United States Census Bureau, TripAdvisor, Events Photo Group, Berlitz, and Computer Geeks. He also served as the Content Strategy Manager for HearPlanet, a multi-platform app that has reached over a million users and has been featured in the New York Times, Hemispheres Magazine, National Geographic Adventure, Fox Business News, PC Magazine, and even Apple’s own iPhone ads. Greg has written as a restaurant critic and feature journalist for a number of national and international publications, including City Weekend Magazine, Red Egg Magazine, the Newton Daily News, Capital Change Magazine, and an arm of China Daily, Beijing Weekend. In addition, he has served as a consulting editor for the Foreign Language Press of Beijing, as well as a writer and editor for the George Washington University Hatchet, the school newspaper of his alma mater. Originally from Iowa, Greg is currently living in the West Village of Manhattan.

Back to Top ↑